November 2, 2012

The big day

Filed under:News! — Aileen @ 14:09

I tried to make a post about a week ago, with lots of progress photos and I couldn’t get it to go up. Hopefully this one will be less problematic. There is no point really in showing all those progress pictures because I’ve finished the projects and have moved on!

Here are some photos of what I wore yesterday. As I’m sure a lot of you are aware of, the K&S show opened yesterday and continues until Sunday. I wore my finished Agnes sweater, an A-line skirt made from my Edinburgh tartan and a white ‘Liverpool’ blouse.

The jumper!

Pattern: Agnes, the cover garment from Knitscene Autumn 2012. I knit the second smallest size.

Yarn: Rialto DK, 10 balls, from This is Knit. I honestly thought it would take more than that, especially since the sleeves needed to be longer, but no.

Needles: 4mm for the whole thing.

Modifications: I knit the body and sleeves in the round. In hindsight I wish I had grafted the shoulders rather than leaving them to be sewn together.

I am really happy with this, it worked up very quickly and is super comfortable. Alb reckons the colour is very old-fashioned but I rather like it and it goes with pretty much everything else in my wardrobe.

The skirt pattern is a very simple A-line pattern I got as part of an ensemble pattern set, Simplicity 8042. I lined it with silk satin to keep it from getting all static so it is extra snug. Getting the check to match wasn’t so hard but I was forced to cut the waistband off because of space constraints. It’s not terrible and anyway I don’t often show the waistband. Although I had high ambitions for this fabric, I think using a simple pattern was the way to go. The check is really quite big which made it pretty easy to match, but difficult to cut out. I’ll remember that for again.

The blouse is yet another Liverpool blouse – as I said before, I think this will be my last iteration (see my others here and here. I used cotton shirting from Murphy Sheehy. I don’t remember how much I paid but it wasn’t that expensive. Maybe €15. It has a very pleasant loose-ish, even weave and has become very soft with two washings. The only modification I made this time was the cuffs. I measured a shop-bought blouse where I like the width of the cuffs very much. Then I cut my new cuffs to that width and folded a pleat in the sleeves with the excess fabric. They are snug enough that they stay put but are loose enough that they didn’t need a button. For the record, I think that width was 8″ and I added an extra inch for 1/2″ seam allowance.

This is the first situation where I’ve knit a jumper to go with something specific. Indeed, it spurred me on to finish quickly so I think I might try that one again!

end

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. | TrackBack URI

Leave a comment