Kimono Top

Today was the first time in days we had proper daylight so I grabbed my opportunity. I was hoping to show this and my other blouse at the weekend but it was too dark to take photos.

Pattern: Kimono Top by Salme.

Fabric: Barely 1m of Liberty lawn, €15 from Murphy Sheehy’s. I got the very last metre of this stuff so I got a wee reduction. Beautiful stuff to work with.

The pattern was extremely easy. A few things, though: the pattern is pretty voluminous. I measured the pieces and went for the smallest size. Seam allowances aren’t included in the pattern so I cut two sizes bigger and used the difference as my allowance (1/2″). Making the cuffs was completely pointless – though it would look nice with a contrast colour if I were to make it again.

It took me about 3 hours total to make, including printing out the pattern. It probably would take even less if I used a bias binding on the neckline instead of the facings. This pattern is definitely joining the quick-sewing-fix group! I think I’d like to make another and perhaps also lengthen it into a dress.

This was the first project I used two new attachments for my machine on. The first was an ‘overlocking’ foot, which doesn’t technically overlock, but provides a guide so as to give a lovely finish to a zigzagged edge. Just what I needed. The other was a narrow hem foot. This mimics the rolled hem hand finish and is lovely on light fabrics like this one. I am amazed at the difference such a simple attachment could make; I’ll definitely be using both again.

2 thoughts on “Kimono Top

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *