I finished this last Thursday!
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cathay in Petrol Blue.
Needles: 4.5mm Denise.
Modifications: This was intended to be an off-the-shoulder t-shirt so I drastically reduced the number of stitches to cast on for the neckline – I think I had about a hundred. If anyone really wants to know, I have it written down somewhere. I didn’t leave the edges raw, as in the original design. The neckline was very floppy so I put a row of double crochet around it – it worked very well. I did the same on the sleeves. I also put in ‘phoney seams’ at either side of the body. I did this by slipping the seam stitch every second round. I didn’t expect it to have any difference on the structure of the garment but it really does have a stabilising effect, and I think I will use this technique from now on.
A better look at the crocheted neckline and sleeves
I don’t like the garter stitch at the bottom. I have only worn it twice and it has already stretched out a lot. When I finish writing this, I’m going to rip it out and put in a rolled bottom. I nipped out to This is Knit for a quick visit yesterday and to my amusement, Lisa was wearing her’s! She finished her’s off with a purl row and then a few rows of stockinette for a rolled bottom. I much prefer it and it hasn’t stretched anything like mine.
The recent lack of blogging was due to the fact that I do work for a living from time to time! I had a concert in Kilkenny. Today I’m turning around and getting stuck into a concerto I’m playing in Sligo next month. Thankfully, the knit goes on (and on) and I have lots of in-progress things to show in the next post. See you soon!