I finished this up Sunday night on the way down from Dublin… and it was given yesterday 🙂 The recipient loves it! And… it looks far better on him than it does on me… thankfully!
You may or may not notice that the pattern on the hat has changed since the last time I put up a picture! I had the waves along the top of the hat and the llamas underneath. I didn’t really like the way it looked so I ripped it out and put the llamas on top of the waves instead.
Here’s some ear-flap action.
When the hat was long enough, I put it on and marked on each side where the centre of my ears are. From there, I put all the stitches on waste yarn and worked each flap individually. When I got to the bottom of the flap, I made a purl row on the right side, and then knitted back up the inside of the flap to create a second layer. I continued this layer until I reached the brim of the hat again. I did this for the other one too. I then picked up all stitches around the brim, including the ones from the ‘bottom’ of the ear flaps and knit one round. Then I purled one round to make it easier to turn in the hem.
I knit one more round and then changed to smaller needles. I needed to increase the number of stitches to fit in Derm’s name and number so I figured I should counteract it by using smaller needles. I used 4mm to knit the hat, and 3mm to knit the hem. I cast off the hem, and sewed it down along the inside of the hat. I was afraid my sewing it down would make a puckered line along the outside of the hat, but it didn’t.
Because someone always wants to see the inside
So, the details!
Needles: 4mm for the hat and 3mm for the hem.
Yarn: Wendy Mode DK, 50% merino, 50% acrylic.
Time: About three days.
Colourwork: Done! I held the main colour in my dominant (right) hand and knitted English style with it. I held the contrasting colour in my left hand and knitted Continental. I didn’t bother twisting the strands together the way alot of books tell you to (well, for intarsia anyway, which I suppose is a bit different) because I found it held together quite nicely. When I was carrying a colour for more than three stitches, I anchored it down by wrapping it around the other colour at the back – a technique I picked up from a Vogue Knitting article on Armenian knitting (Winter 2006 I think). It sounds fiddly but it is easy and very effective. It may be the reason why I didn’t have any tension problems. That, and maybe because knitting continental doesn’t confuse me much because I used to crochet alot.
Glee: 100% all round.