It was one of those weekends that wasn’t a weekend. I had to go to a funeral in Kerry so I got a lift down Friday night after work with another girl who was also going. We drove back Saturday and then I worked Sunday morning. Back to school today so feeling a bit weary! Anyway, I have this great new skirt to wear.
Pattern: The skirt part of Sewaholic’s ‘Cambie’ dress.
I don’t work in such a formal environment that warrants a dress like this so I figured I’d get more wear out of the skirt part.
Fabric: About 1m of charcoal wool suiting from Murphy Sheehy’s, about €15. Lining is that lovely teal peacock feather one I showed before, think it was about €7/m. So total cost about €25 including the zip.
What I love about it is the shape and the slash pockets. They lie perfectly flat but are still functional.
The pieces fit together perfectly and it was very, very easy to make. If you’re interested in doing the same thing with this pattern, just omit the bodice part – even the waist band is included.
Even though it turned out well and it fits nicely, it’s still not fantastic. Two things are not so good. Firstly, I decided to make bias binding to finish the hem using the Colette method from the book. It works amazingly well! But I made the binding too narrow which made it difficult to attach and finish. It’s ok but it could be better.
Secondly, I used my serger to put a rolled hem on my lining. Despite much experimentation, the finish is not very good. Upon reflection, I think the lining is just that bit too heavy for a rolled hem and a normal narrow hem would have sufficed. I also marked the hem for serging completely arseways so it is short and wobbly.
These are not make-or-break problems, rather things that I can improve on next time.
I’ve picked my jacket pattern and hope to have a little free time to trace it and make a muslin this week. Already dreaming of mid term!