This photo was taken moments before their disappearance. It is suspected that their own deliciousness may have contributed to their abduction and, it is feared, consumption.
The friands were last seen in the company of a mug of tea (pictured below).
This mug is considered to be highly dangerous and ought not be approached unless accompanied by an irresistibly delicious lemon and blueberry friand. Government officials are recommending all those who wish to have a mug of tea today should approach the mug and possibly even the tea bags with caution… and with an irresistibly delicious lemon and blueberry friand.
You had better be safe than sorry. Here’s the recipe! Deliciously wheat and gluten free.
100g ground almonds
3 egg whites
25g rice flour
Pinch of xanthan gum
125g icing sugar
Rind of 1 lemon
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
2. Sieve the flour, xanthan gum and icing sugar together in a bowl. Stir in the ground almonds.
3. Grate in the lemon rind (or do that in a separate bowl and then add it if you think you’ll do what I did and drop the lemon into the flour and end up with a floury lemon).
4. Whisk the egg whites until they make a floppy foam – a few minutes off a good meringue.
5. Fold in the egg whites and spoon the mixture into six bun cases in a tin.
6. Stick as many or as little blueberries into the top of each bun.
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
8. Assist abduction with mug of tea.
If you, like me, had no idea what a friand is – apparently it is a type of bun made with ground almonds as a base and usually has meringue, butter, flour and icing sugar in it. Mine didn’t have any butter because despite going all the way to the shop to get some right before I made them, I forgot to put it in. But they taste great and are very light.